Monday, November 14, 2011

The Powers

"The Song of The Powers" - David Mason

Mine, said the stone,
mine is the hour.
I crush the scissors,
such is my power.
Stronger than wishes,
my power, alone.

Mine, said the paper,
mine are the words
that smother the stone
with imagined birds,
reams of them, flown
from the mind of the shaper.

Mine, said the scissors,
mine all the knives
gashing through paper’s
ethereal lives;
nothing’s so proper
as tattering wishes.

As stone crushes scissors,
as paper snuffs stone
and scissors cut paper,
all end alone.
So heap up your paper
and scissor your wishes
and uproot the stone
from the top of the hill.
They all end alone
as you will, you will.
I was at first overwhelmed by the selection when I was asked to memorize a poem from a list the size of a phone book. My immediate reaction, being the positioning jerk that I am, was to memorize a poem by a big name author so that I could flaunt it sometime down the road. My decision to rest with a 10 year old poem by a more obscure author was an easy one, however, as this poem reached to me in a way few have before.

Nothing quite annoys me in poetry as much as when the poet assembles his words in a pretentious, jejune assembly of imagery without any grounding. If you're going to use a metaphor, make it a unique and powerful one. I don't care if your emotions flutter and shake like the breeze. Apparently, everyone's do. That's what made this poem grab me so well. The metaphor it used was pertinent, fun and original. It conjures images of standing on the street outside of St. Ann's Elementary School playing with my friends, but also conveys a message I find myself forgetting too often as I apply to university. All the fuss I make at school or home or trying to get this or that award is really an exercise in futility, and I have to remember that if I'm not doing it for fun, I might as well not do it.
But he gets a "B" on intricacy. He could have a lot of fun with this.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I really like the poem! You're right, it is really unique in its use of metaphor.

    2. Nice logic, it's good to know that you don't care about emotions fluttering in the breeze.

    3. I stared at that picture for a while trying to figure out how that would work.


    But seriously, great poem. I feel like a poet or author could use the most fancy language and it wouldn't have as much meaning as a simple, yet down-to-earth use of language would. It's the comments and references that remind us of good times, memories, things we've experienced, etc that stay with us, that really mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed very much reading your thoughts on this poem! But what did you think were the major themes underlying it? what did the straightforward imagery correlate into for you (i know you brought up what it reminded you of, but how did it go along with the themes you perceived, those universally understood)? I would have loved to know that as well :) But to me, this poem besides the metaphor was striking in the idea of rock, paper, and scissors personified. The imagery makes it really relatable, we draw from our own experience with these things in order to understand the meaning of the poem ( LOVE IT). And from this, we can understand at the end the idea presented that all things go together i guess? Like the rock, the paper, and the scissors in the game going against one another-the inherent idea of competition-leads to loss and a lack of unity. Food for thought. Great poem choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this poem as well! I thought it was a really unique idea. I was also wondering if you knew how long the game of rock, paper, and scissors has been around because it could also be a generational thing. I am not positive if say my grandparents would understand the metaphor because I am not sure if they played the game as children like we did. We grew up with this game so to us, we understood what the narrator was talking about right away. I also really like the idea of powers that the title gives. When I first saw the title of the poem, I thought it would be about something completely different like super powers. I like the twist because it means that anyone can have power (well as long as you have hands but I guess you could try using your feet too). It also gives the participator the option of what kind of power they can choose which could be a metaphor for free-will. I can see why you were drawn to this poem!

    ReplyDelete